RE: Copyright, Translations and Intellectual Property

Subject: RE: Copyright, Translations and Intellectual Property
From: "technical writing plus" <doc-x -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "'CL T'" <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:52:37 -0600

No, I would not be comfortable -- [1] After stuff has been translated, it
might have a different meaning, either slightly or majorly and [2] After
something has been translated, value (which may well mean something to the
people who paid for the translations) has been added to the content.

It is not as easy as saying 'Well, the content has been translated into
Swahili. Joe, in accounting, knows some Swahili, and he says that it ought
to be ok for us to re-use.'

[1] Joe could be wrong as to the quality of the translation -- the
translation might be off in some slight and tricky way that he would not
necessarily be able to note. This is a true biggie.

[2] Company B paid money to translate the stuff and I would think that
getting their permission would be important.

Jim Jones zxlat.translatorscafe.com

Chinese | German | Spanish to English

Technical Communication Services (Editing, Illustration)

STC Chicago Technical Workshop Coordinator

(Very good Intro to Adobe FrameMaker workshop this weekend in Lisle.

See article on stc-chicago.org. $89/$99 - All day Saturday.)