Re: How is documenting hardware different from documenting software?; was, "Re: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?"

Subject: Re: How is documenting hardware different from documenting software?; was, "Re: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?"
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:09:23 -0800 (PST)

You have to start by defining what the customer means by "hardware." Does he mean the business end of a CNC machine or the workings inside a CPU chip like the north and south bridges?

If you are dealing with large-scale hardware, you will need to pay very close attention to physical safety concerns for the user. Depending on the kind of hardware, your warning notice hierarchy may need to include the possibility of the user being injured or killed if he does something wrong. That concern must also be reflected in any user-level procedures you write, so you tell him how to remain safe by telling him what NOT to do.

If the hardware is things at or near chip level, you'll probably have to work a lot on documenting signal flows and timing diagrams. If you're working with circuitry, brush up on your Boolean algebra. That will make it easier to understand designs, and help you notice if something seems to be wrong.

It seems to me that in a hardware environment, the review process is stricter. Programmers and those who manage them seem to be less inclined to take time away from their "real" work to review docs. They always want more leeway in which to exercise their version of creativity, so they are more likely to not care about "slop" in documentation. In a production environment there is more emphasis on metrics and adhering to production plans, and both the deadlines and the standards for docs are tighter. In the last 10 years, I've worked at a couple of hardware producing companies and they both had documentation management structures that included editors and proofreaders, but none of the software companies had anything like that. It may have been a function of the fact the software companies were much smaller.