RE: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?

Subject: RE: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 08:32:12 -0600

Same here. We document a wide variety of machines used in the
manufacture of paper products. The first page of the first chapter in
every manual introduces and describes a standard set of safety icons.
The second chapter includes a standard roster of warnings, notices, and
the like, complete with OSHA cross-references for more information. In
subsequent chapters dealing with installation, operation, and
maintenance, we include warnings and the like in context -- often
repeatedly within the same chapter. These warnings are always called out
with safety icons and a special tabular format that makes them stand out
from the rest of the text. Similarly, when we recommend or suggest that
a user incorporate a specific product as part of a procedure -- an oil
or grease or solvent or anti-seize compound, for instance -- we also
provide technical data sheets and MSDSs in the appendix. We
cross-reference to these appended documents, in context, within the
particular chapter where we make the suggestion or recommendation.