Re: A dark take on Tech Writing...do you agree?

Subject: Re: A dark take on Tech Writing...do you agree?
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 17:54:41 -0800 (PST)

I never realized I was on the "dark side." Cool. I always thought I was just a curmudgeon. Maybe I should start calling myself Darth Writer.

Actually, attempting to reduce competition never once entered my mind. I feel no need to do so. Since the dot-bomb blowup in 2001, I've managed to stay continuously employed every month of the last eight years, at pay rates that qualify me as "rich" by my own standards of 20 years ago. I am pretty well able to convince employers I some idea what I'm doing, so I really don't think I need to stoop to well-poisoning tactics.

I disagree with the idea that technical writing is an engineering field. Things related to engineering can be expressed in exact numbers, and that is definitely not true of technical writing. 'Tis neither fish nor fowl nor good red meat. It spans many other fields, including engineering. Technical writing is not really IT or engineering either one - it is a wrapper, a superset of skills that cherry picks some aspects of the fields it reports on, and adds a few skills that are not 'technical' at all. It's like newspaper reporting is neither an economic field or a business field, but the reporter needs to be able to deal with aspects of both as well as writing. The fact that it is a field that can't be neatly quantified and characterized is one of the main reasons there are so few who can do it well. That's my take on it - your mileage may vary.

As for "careers" (by the way, my father is a semi-retired doctor - a GP - one of the last of the breed)...I tend to think of that in the old terms which had connotations of long-term retention and chances of advancement within an industrial hierarchy. Yes every career is a succession of jobs if you want to raise the quibble that you don't do exactly the same thing every year. My point was, in the great majority of cases, the succession of jobs in technical writing does not carry any possibilities of upwards mobility. "Upwards mobility" meaning related increases in pay, responsibilities, authority, and position on the org chart, within the same org. The old-style idea of a career as was possible for an IBM engineer or an advertising agency manager isn't possible in technical writing. In this field, the "career" consists entirely of doing the same kind of work at 9 different companies over the span of 14 years. Unless you find the right company to work
for, there may be increases in pay and chances to work into some sort of management function, but those will be disjointed in time and work location.

I'd much rather do tech writing than fiction. I've done both. Fiction is much harder and more painful.