Re: Windows 3.1 to Windows 95

Subject: Re: Windows 3.1 to Windows 95
From: "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 08:23:32 -0800

Let me point out that Win95 did not generate BSODs. It was WinNT that
generated BSODs and, if you knew how to interpret the info being displayed,
it was very useful in immediately knowing the cause of the error -- memory,
an errant video driver, or what have you. User-friendly, no...but they did
serve a purpose. And yes, Win98 was quite an improvement over 95, just as
W2K was over the fledgling WinNT.

Like Gene, I was one of those who hated the Explorer file management tool,
until I learned--from complaining in a forum such as this--that it's very
easy to run two instances side-by-side (with WinBatch making this a
one-button operation). Once I learned *that* trick, there was no going back
to File Mangler (sic).

As for the Apple vs. Microsoft battle, I won't be baited. Not here, not now.
I will say that I have no sympathy for a company (Apple) suing another
(Microsoft) over intellectual property it copied from a third (Xerox). I
will agree that M$ seems to have lost their way in relation to a GUI
designed for the populus, making me wonder why they even bothered funding
their usability labs.

http://www.doctohelp.com