Re: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?

Subject: Re: Is there a study on reading warnings, notes?
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Geoff Hart" <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 08:32:22 -0500

I completely agree with Geoff's idea that the warnings should be
incorporated into the steps/main content when they're related to personal
safety, and that is how I have always written them. Then the offset warnings
or cautions are added for emphasis (We mean it). In addition to placing the
content in the line "thought," I've always wondered how much attention is
given to those warning/caution boxes. When I've written hardware content,
sometimes there are a lot of warnings, and it seems possible that people
would habituate to them.

It's really a no-brainer. Contrast that with a recent download experience I
had: Click on the button to download now. Next sentence, "Turn off the
device before downloading the frabbitz." Not even in a separate step, just
tagged onto the download instructions. Adding insult to injury (or
frustration), the instructions were completely missing from the main
download page--one could just download without any instructions. Sheesh.

Regards,

Kathleen

Kathleen MacDowell
www.writefortheuser.com