RE: Concision?

Subject: RE: Concision?
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Odile Sullivan-Tarazi" <odile -at- mindspring -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 11:01:56 -0500

I'm sure they do. I'm chuckling now a bit that you're taking this so
seriously. No offense.

Sorry, but when I read concision, the next word that came to mind was
"circumcision," and there, perhaps, I'd go for the Latin formation and
avoid some blunter Anglo-Saxon alternative, if such there be.

But, generally, I agree with Orwell: Use words that convey images. Keep
it simple and direct. Use the good, crisp, clear Anglo-Saxon words.
Don't seek concision. Be concise. Better yet, be brief. Terse. Pithy.

Jim

"If thou wouldst be pungent, be brief. For it is with words as with
sunbeams: the more they are condensed, the more they burn." -- Robert
Southey.