Re: open-source vs. open source

Subject: Re: open-source vs. open source
From: "Janet Swisher" <jmswisher -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:20:54 -0500

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 7:11 AM, Michael West <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com> wrote:

>> If the door is "open," then it is an "open door" and that door does not
>> somehow become different and become an "open-door," except in an
> "open-door"
>> policy. In this case "open-door" is a modifier to policy. By comparison,
>> "open-source" would be a modifier to code, which it is not. "Open" refers
>> to the source and not to the code. So it is "open source code," but the
>> code can be the same type of code used in closed source applications.
>> "Closed source" means that the public does not have access to the source,
>> like in open source applications.
>
> This is incorrect. In "open-source code", it is that source that is open. In
> "open source code" it is the source code that is open.

I don't see a semantic difference there.

"Open source" has become a set noun phrase that can be applied as an
attributive modifier to many things:

open source software
open source development
open source initiative
open source license
open source hardware (where the design of the hardware is freely available)

> In "open-door policy" it is the door that is open. In "open door policy" it
> is the door policy that is open.

One of the purposes of hyphenating compounds is to avoid ambiguity, as
in "open door policy" or "fast sailing ship". Maybe it's just me, but
I don't see potential ambiguity in the phrases above involving "open
source".

--
Visit my blog at: http://www.janetswisher.com

http://www.doctohelp.com