Re: Honestly -- when an SME completely REWRITES your text ... GEEZ!

Subject: Re: Honestly -- when an SME completely REWRITES your text ... GEEZ!
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 08:38:25 -0500

From: "Meryl R. Cohen" <merylster -at- gmail -dot- com>
Subject: Re: Honestly -- when an SME completely REWRITES your text ...
GEEZ!

Some people find that they think best and express themselves best by
writing. This doesn't mean that the writing is good. It just means that
writing is how they figure things out.

I would take the SME's efforts in the best possible light.
1) Is his description different in meaning than yours? How? Do other
comments agree with him?
2) If so, rewrite using his meaning and your words/style.
3) Then meet with/email him thanking him for his time and input and
explaining that you appreciate the help he has provided in understanding
the
function. Provide your new text.

BTW what is the policy/culture where you work? Must you take every piece
of
feedback as true? I always pay attention to technical/substantive
feedback
and follow writing style feedback as appropriate in relation to my view
and
the company style.

Meryl

To be fair, I've discovered several point in the SME's version that I
missed. His writing definitely needs to be tightened up, though. The
documentation department here does have the final word as far as how
things are worded. In fact, come to think of it, the FINAL decision
isn't mine, but or editor's. I was planning on emailing the SME back the
final version I end up with.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/