Re: FW: Convert a directory of Word files to a TOC

Subject: Re: FW: Convert a directory of Word files to a TOC
From: "Margaret Hassall" <margaret -dot- hassall -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:10:10 +1100

A possibility ...

I have a macro(s) in an Excel spreadsheet that gets a starting folder
as input from a dialog and then writes in all the files and
sub-folders it finds, using the Excel columns to indent to show the
folder tree structure. (I created it to get a list of topics in a Help
project).

You can check a box to request that if it finds a Word file, then it
adds in the first Heading 1 it finds - it displays it on the same row
as the file name, but a few columns along. It's not in Word, but you
can copy/paste to Word if you want. There are some columns with file
counts that you might not want.

It's a work in progress (haven't made it robust with error checking),
and I can't get titles from HTML files yet. It's about 150Kb in size.

Would this help?

Margaret

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/