re: How to I get into this field?

Subject: re: How to I get into this field?
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:41:57 -0500

From: Kerry Cort <kercort -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Subject: How to I get into this field?

I have a BA in English and would like to get into technical writing but
need to know what steps I should take.? What is required?

------------------------------

There are probably a number of discussions of this topic in the TECHWR-L
archives.

The way I got into the field was to go through the master's program in
Technical and Science Communication at Drexel University, where part of
the program involves a paid internship. In my case, the paid internship
turned into an actual real job.

If you want to just go job-hunting without the master's degree, you
could try a job board such as www.dice.com. That seems to be a
particularly good one for technical writing positions.

Two other things you should expect when looking for a technical writing
job:

First, it help to know some of the tools used in producing documents,
such as FrameMaker and MS Word.

Second, it's a plus to know something about the subject matter you'll be
writing about, although there are probably a lot of positions where you
can learn on the job, as did I.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/