Re: How to I get into this field?

Subject: Re: How to I get into this field?
From: Rick Stone <rstone75 -at- kc -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: kercort -at- yahoo -dot- com
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 07:45:14 -0500

Hi Kerry

If you have a job currently, you might start there.

Many of the folks in technical writing actually segued into it from
other roles. Basically, you find a need and fill it.

In nearly every job I've ever had I have found opportunity for things
like this. I don't believe myself to be special in any way, so I figure
anyone else can achieve the same thing if they are willing. So look
around and take inventory of what you do and what it takes to do it.
Then see if you can think of a way to improve upon it. For me, I will
make the improvement immediately. Use it myself and keep it to myself
until I get it refined. Then once it's all ironed out, I approach others
and demonstrate how the change helped improve things. That's usually
enough to get buy in. Once you make some changes such as that, you
sometimes find that you have managed to create your own position. Either
that or they move you into one that is a better fit.

Best of luck to you! Rick :)

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/