Re: Need a single font

Subject: Re: Need a single font
From: "Kathleen MacDowell" <kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com>
To: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:27:43 -0500

I'd like to add a cautionary note about XP, Adobe Acro Pro and CS3,
and installing fonts. We had to install an odd font to print some
external documents. The installation went fine, and the Word file used
the font fine. But for some reason, it wasn't being picked up by
Adobe. I forget how I resolved it, I think I had to make sure the font
was installed in a particular directory. So you might install the font
in a common directory, if there is one.

Regards,

Kathleen

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Ed. wrote (in part):
>> OTF fonts are OpenType, which essentially replaced Adobe Type1 fonts.
>
> This is not quite correct. OpenType is the current font standard for Windows,
> and it incorporates most of the features of both the TrueType and PostScript
> Type 1 font technologies in a single format. More significantly, it also adds
> support for Unicode font encoding, which neither of the older font technologies
> did.
>
> So I suppose it is correct to say that OpenType essentially replaced Type 1
> fonts, in the sense that the Adobe and Linotype catalogs are now issued in
> OpenType format. But it also replaces TrueType fonts in any case where
> Unicode is a factor. And it is also true that existing Type 1 and TrueType
> fonts are still fully functional and need not be replaced with OpenType
> versions.
>
> -Fred Ridder

> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help gives you everything you need to author and
> publish quality Help, Web, and print content. Perfect for technical
> authors, developers, and policy writers. Download a FREE trial.
> http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -at- writefortheuser -dot- com -dot-

> or visit http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kathleen%40writefortheuser.com

Kathleen MacDowell
www.writefortheuser.com

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/