Re: Writing a letter to an unknown part

Subject: Re: Writing a letter to an unknown part
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:49:41 +0800

Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

> I usually just leave off the salutation and just go
> right to "I am writing about..." Most companies'
> customer service/complaint processes are so
> unhelpful that I almost always end up having to
> contact multiple times to get things resolved
> and never end up with the same person twice
> anyway.

I once wrote a recursive complaint letter that
worked well.

I was in Singapore and my month old washing
machine failed. The dealer said talk to the
manufacturer. They said bring it in and we'll
have a look. I said send a technician, or at
least send a truck to pick it up.

This went through several people over about.
a week.

My letter ended:

Please do not refuse this perfectly reasonable
request citing "company policy". If you do not
have the authority to overrule such a foolish
policy, please just pass this letter to your
boss and let him or her answer it.

If you do refuse, please make certain of two
things. Please ensure that the person who
actually makes that decision signs the letter,
and please provide the address for company
headquarters in Japan.

Singapore has a great postal system. I sent
that at 2 pm; they called me near five, very
apologetic that it was too late to get a tech
to me that day.

The technician was there at 9 am the next
morning. The problem turned out to be just
a broken belt, a two-minute fix.

--
Sandy Harris,
Quanzhou, Fujian, China