RE: single sourcing - solved

Subject: RE: single sourcing - solved
From: "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 08:49:54 -0400

Good morning,

Thanks to all who responded to my request for assistance yesterday,
particularly Kathleen, who went WAAAAY beyond the call of duty and
hooked me up with some outside sites to which my employer blocks
internet access.

To summarize, I ended up following one of your suggestions - I believe
it was from Robert...(Thank you, kind sir!) I divided the procedure into
chunks. The original had 20 steps. The first chunk went up to step 6.
Step 7 and 8 were dependent on application type, so those made up the
second chunk. I will have multiple versions of this second chunk when I
finish my work. And the last chunk went from step 9 to the end, where
the steps were identical again. I then created a Procedure topic and
embedded the chunks inside it, which solved my numbering problem.

As I went through this procedure, I found conceptual information that
was application type-specific embedded in the steps. I moved that
information into its own introductory concept topic, to be placed in the
Procedure topic, before the embedded chunks as lead-in.

Here's the best part... Analysis shows a need to add at least two new
guides. They are pretty much already written. All that's missing is that
lead-in text I just mentioned. The procedures are done! This is a
beautiful thing.

Thank you all for your time and suggestions. I am most appreciative.

Patty B.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/