Re: Select, choose, click style guide

Subject: Re: Select, choose, click style guide
From: Janice Gelb <Janice -dot- Gelb -at- Sun -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 11:53:53 +1000

Kathleen MacDowell wrote:
> Does the frabitx click or does the mouse click? Far as I know, the
> mouse clicks. But you want people to "select" or hover on the frabitx
> and left-click (or right-click) the mouse. So in fact, even "click on
> the frabitx" is short hand, but it's closer than click the frabitx.

I don't want to belabor this but if you were trying to
say that the frabitx clicked, you would say "The frabitz
clicks" -- I don't see where "on" changes the understanding
that you are clicking a mouse button. I do agree that if
you really wanted to be more specific, you would say "Move
the mouse cursor over the frabitx and then click the left
mouse button." But as long as you're using the shorthand
"click," "on" doesn't seem to me to add any clarifying
information.

But, everyone to their own style!

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/