Re: Pointing device question

Subject: Re: Pointing device question
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:30:17 +1000

From: "Chris Morton"

>I'm documenting a medical device that uses a trackball, mounted to an

>integrated keyboard, to manipulate a biopsy needle. There are times when
the

--

My view is that a trackball that is mounted into a keyboard is not a mouse
at all. To me, a mouse is a hand-held device that rolls or slides on a

A mouse is a pointing device, but not all pointing devices are mice (mouses
if you prefer). Is a joystick a mouse? I don't think so. Neither is a
keyboard-integrated trackball.

However, if that is an established usage among your audience, and they are
accustomed to referring to the trackball as a mouse even though it isn't,
then your first priority must be to avoid confusing them by suddenly using
different terms. Still, I can't think calling trackball a trackball instead
of a trackball mouse would confound them in any serious way.

But those are the people you should ask, I think.

Mike West

Melbourne, Australia

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/