RE: "and then," or simply "then"?

Subject: RE: "and then," or simply "then"?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:31:43 -0400

It is this one that is precisely the construction that the original poster
asked about. And this is the one that is unquestionably unacceptable if one
is intending to write grammatical American English.

Such a construction is using "then" as a conjunction, and that is what makes
it wrong. It is never going to be right. "Then" is not a conjunction.

Anyone who's writing for Apple presently could diplomatically advise them of
this fact. If I were, I would certainly do so. It is apparent that its style
guide was not prepared by a competent editor.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/