Word 2003 Track Changes?

Subject: Word 2003 Track Changes?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, chrismorton11 -at- gmail -dot- com
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:13:26 -0400

Chris Morton wondered: <<I'm using Word 2003. When engaging Track
Changes, I'm used to seeing my insertions, deletions, et al., marked
up in another color. I'm talking about real-time, before my very
eyes. For some reason, selecting Tools > Track Changes displays a
toolbar, but my edits are not being displayed in a marked up manner.
What am I forgetting to engage?>>

There are two likely possibilities.

First, look over at the left side of the Reviewing toolbar. You want
to select "Show final [or "original"] and markup". If you choose only
"Show final", you'll get the results of your edits but won't see how
you got there; the changes are still tracked, but Word doesn't
highlight them until you tell it to do so.

Second, you may need to change the display settings. Somewhere around
Word XP (the version before 2003), Microsoft changed how this setting
works. You'll need to open the Tools menu, select Options, and then
select the Track Changes tab. As in previous versions, you get to
specify what formatting you want to use to show your changes (e.g.,
strikethrough for deletions), but you'll also have to specify that
color should be used (this is no longer automatic). For example,
changing the formatting to boldface won't show color unless you also
select a color; selecting "color only" will show color.

Many other useful tips in my book (see below). <g>

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

Print version: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=1505747

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/