Re: "budget" laptop?

Subject: Re: "budget" laptop?
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:16:29 +0530

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com> wrote:
> Sorry to say I'm in the same boat as Gene. I have been
> assuming that the video card should be able to map to
> any block of memory that is electrically and logically
> addressible by the motherboard and northbridge,
> whether or not the OS knows how to use that memory
> to run applications in. But I could be wrong.

Well, I expect you're absolutely right there about *ability* to use
any addressable memory. However, I couldn't understand how the video
card would take (or be assigned by the BIOS, since a 32-bit OS
wouldn't know about the 4th GB) memory from only that which was unused
by the OS, without coordinating with the OS and finding out it didn't
recognize the 4th GB...

Oh, heck, my head is beginning to hurt now :)

> Either way, though, my central point--that any memory
> configuration exceeding 3GB is of little or no benefit
> unless you're running a 64-bit OS--is still valid. I had

Absolutely no arguments there; this was why I'd settled on 3GB as the
optimum to buy for myself, having been a little disgusted by my foray
into 64-bit OSs earlier.

> point stronger. Buying more memory than you can
> actually use now makes no sense because the price
> trend for all types of computer hardware is downward.

Well, given the high rate of technological change, I'd posit that it
was an inverted bell curve, where, as the technology grew older and
more obsolescent, it got more and more expensive again. I have noticed
this in the case of EDO RAM, FP-mode RAM, it's happening right now for
DDR RAM (DDR-1, that is) and I expect it to happen for DDR2 as well,
once the next generation of RAM technology goes mainstream. This is in
India, perhaps the case is different elsewhere in the world.
Anyway, the best buy is when the price is at the bottom of the
inverted bell - the hardware is in plentiful supply.

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/