Re: w -at- h

Subject: Re: w -at- h
From: Karen Mulholland <kemulholland -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:33:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Arroxane,

Does your organization have an intranet?
If so, log on and get to know your new best friend.

When I started this job, I decided to change the way I worked and encourage people to look over my shoulder, because I have encountered that "what does she do, anyway?" attitude and I didn't want to give it a chance to take root.
So I use my company's intranet *a lot*.

When I finish a chunk of information - be it a chapter, topic, release note, or anything else that can be reviewed as a stand-alone piece - I post it to the company's intranet. If it's a revision to existing material, I also post a spreadsheet showing where the changes are, what they are, and what I want from my reviewers. Once the material is posted, I email the people who need to review it. (BTW, these targeted, piecemeal reviews really make life easier for me and my reviewers both.)

We use ClearSpace, so all recent posts are visible on the front page. Users have icons or custom images. I use a distinctive image in place of a generic icon; anyone who uses our intranet recognizes the photo. I've got SOMETHING on the Recent Posts lists - so my little icon/photo is on the front page of ClearSpace - at all times.

If your intranet doesn't provide that kind of visibility-enhancing behavior, use it anyway, and after you post anything, email the groups of people who need to be aware of the work you're doing.

You don't need to limit your posts to review drafts.
When reviewed chunks that I've been working on cohere into a near-final document, I post it.
When I release a final draft, I post it.
When I draft a new documentation plan, I post it.
When I draw a graphic that other people might want to use, I post it.

If I have a week without completing anything that I would normally post, I write a quick blog entry - perhaps an explanation of why the translation folders are "Simplified Chinese" and "Traditional Chinese" and not "Mandarin" and "Cantonese". Or I post an announcement about the latest recipient of the Tech Dox Luv Award. (Yes, I spell it that way. In an itty-bitty company where we all know each other, I can do that. Your mileage may vary.) It doesn't matter, really; the point is to keep the drumbeat going.

People at my company get to see everything I'm working on, because I use the intranet as a way for them to look over my shoulder.
It's great for creating visibility.
Your intranet is your friend.

Karen Mulholland

---

> Message: 20
> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:50:06 -0400
> From: arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com
>
> Hi Whirlers,
>
> Apparently, there is
> some question or impression of "What is she doing? Is
> she doing anything? What's happening when she 'works
> from home'?"
(snip)

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/