Re: What's so great about Jing?

Subject: Re: What's so great about Jing?
From: "Tom Johnson" <tomjohnson1492 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 07:58:31 -0600

I'm a big Jing fan as well, even though I also use SnagIt and Camtasia. I
mainly use Jing to show developers bugs I'm experiencing in software. I've
found that showing people bugs through videos helps them believe that it's
not an EBKAC. Also, having them see the bug is much easier than explaining
it.

I've written two posts about Jing:

* "How Can Jing Benefit Technical Writers":
http://www.idratherbewriting.com/2008/02/11/as-a-technical-writer-you-can-benefit-from-jing/
* "Getting Up and Running with Jing":
http://www.idratherbewriting.com/2008/02/12/my-jing-screencast-getting-up-and-running-with-jing/

I mainly use the video capture feature rather than the screen capture, but
when some people can't accept file attachments, the screen capture works
well.

When I use Jing at work, I've configured the built-in FTP to push the videos
up to a SharePoint directory. When I use Jing at home, I set it to publish
to a directory on my website. Sure I could use Camtasia to do the same
thing, but it would take about 5 times as long.

Jing was included in PC World's list of the 100 best products this year --
http://www.pcworld.com/article/146161-12/the_100_best_products_of_2008.html

Tom

cell: 801-822-2241
blog: www.idratherbewriting.com