RE: Introduction

Subject: RE: Introduction
From: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: "'Dan Goldstein'" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 01:52:15 -0700

> From: Dan Goldstein

> These discussions have usually centered on just that question: What
> would you include in a certification exam to "broadly and
> quantifiably"
> test the skills required by most technical writers?
>
> I completely agree that certification can be useful to
> technical writing
> job applicants. We're looking for one that would be useful to the
> *employers* of technical writers.

Yeah, that's kind of why I don't want to get into the certification debate.
The value of certification can currently only be measured with a
hypothetical form of certification, since there is not an effective form of
certification now.

Technical writer certification that is an effective tool to evaluate
technical writers, I think, should include a few things off of the top of my
head.

* Evaluation of education.

* Time spent technical writing. PMI requires for project managers that the
time be separated by projects (of course) and that hours be broken down
according to project management areas. I think that technical writer
certification should include projects and hours as well and the hours should
be broken down into separate technical writing areas. Without a body of
knowledge, those areas are not known, but would probably include interview,
analysis, and writing and may be further delineated by general types of
documents produced.

* A test for how to write technical documents is impractical. Basic grammar
and writing skills would be evidenced by education, samples, and a work
history. Approaches to technical writing could be tested, like "When
dealing with conflicting requirements, the best approach is: A) pick the one
with most annoying manager, B) pick the one with the greatest ROI, C) hold a
JAD session, or D) delegate the conflict resolution to the project manager."
Designing a test to test different approaches to technical writing would
require a body of knowledge that technical writing does not currently have.
There are no 100% right answers, but generally accepted approaches could be
tested and certification applicants would pass the certification exam if
they think like other technical writers.

This is similar to what PMI requires for certifying project managers.
Certification by itself is an evaluation tool, but it is by no means a
complete view of the qualifications of a candidate. The other factors that
I mentioned in my previous post of résumé, references, and samples are still
necessary.

The effectiveness of certification and the quality of a certification exam
rely on a Technical Writing Body of Knowledge that is developed by technical
writers and technical writing managers and considers all potentially
successful approaches to technical writing, which would require lengthy
discussions with, and analysis of, successful technical writers to develop.

Lauren

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/