Re: Introduction

Subject: Re: Introduction
From: "John Posada" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "List, Techwriter" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 15:32:20 -0400

> I guess it pretty much boils down to this:
> Those who already have a solid background gained from previous and
> current employment are not concerned with certification and downplay its
> importance.

Not true.

I've been doling this for 20 years and have a solid background. It is
BECAUSE of this that I'm pro-certification.

If someone is going to compete with me on knowledge I've worked hard
for, I want them to prove they have the knowledge, not just by saying
so and not just by including the one piece they've ever faked their
way through in their portfolio.

I also feel it's important to people hiring writers to know that when
they bring someone on, that writer has the established skill to do not
only what the job requires now, but can perform after it evolves into
a different beast and the position won't grow away from the writer.

Example..I could be hiring the best "Word" writer ever seen, but then
the company evolves into an XML/DITA shop and the writer knows nothing
about it.

BTW...for those out there waiting to jump on this, I'm not going to
get back into the debate of whether it is a good thing or not. Expect
that I do and you can't change my mind. :-)

--
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

'Half this game is ninety percent mental.'
-- Danny Ozark, Philadelphia Phillies manager

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/