Re: Single Sourcing in Framemaker

Subject: Re: Single Sourcing in Framemaker
From: "Guy K. Haas" <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: "Ronquillo, Michael" <mronquillo -at- equitrac -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 07:53:19 -0700

On 9/5/2008 6:39 AM, Ronquillo, Michael wrote:
> The previous Tech Writers at my company single sourced a book for three
> brands. I'm finding it a huge chore with conditional text, mainly with
> respects to spacing and hard returns. As the books get larger it's even
> more of a chore because I have to find every single instance. I wish it
> was just show/hide conditional text, and bam your book does not have to
> be inspected.
>

> Having said that, has anyone ever successfully single sourced books in
> Framemaker? Is it even worth your time, or should I just create separate
> books for each brand to save the headaches and time?
>

> TGIF!

Michael--

At Selectica, I single-sourced 4 1/4 books from one family of FrameMaker
5.5 files.

I started with an API guide for use with the C language; the API
accepted typical parameters and returned a data structure. Then they
developed the same API (same functions, same parameters, same sequence
of arguments) for use with Visual Basic. It returned a VARIANT (cousin
of a data structure) and a succeed/fail value. So each routine had
EITHER this return or that one, and each VB routine had an extra parameter.

THEN they opted to do versions of the same 2 API that returned XML
strings instead of structures/variants.

THEN, they did an API for the same back end in Java -- I was able to
adapt the introductory, conceptual material to use it there as well.

Basically it amounted to creating topics (one per function) with Frame
variables, conditional text, and text insets providing the differing
elements.

--Guy K. Haas
Software Exegete in Silicon Valley

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/