RE: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?

Subject: RE: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: "Technical Writer" <tekwrytr -at- hotmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 08:54:15 -0700

I always find it fascinating when someone implies that the type of
excellence in writing required for good technical writing can just be
picked up (by, say, software developers who just happen to have nothing
better to do) while simultaneously suggesting that technical expertise
needs to come through (or at least be evidenced by) "certification" or
some other type of formal education.

In contradiction of this claim, I have just picked up the technical
expertise I've needed to write intelligently in cellular telephony,
enterprise resource planning, and data archiving--three totally
different industries. But while I do have an aptitude for writing, my
mastery in writing non-fiction prose has come only through formal
education.

If formal education in engineering is required to indicate that someone
has an interest and aptitude in "technology", formal education in
journalism or English is equally required to indicate that someone has
an interest and aptitude in writing. I don't think either proposition is
true. Having said that, however, I have to add that programming and TW
only have as much in common as medicine and automobile mechanics. One of
the reasons there is so much crap documentation in the world is that
many organizations assume that anyone who can design a widget or
software application can also probably write competently. The evidence I
have seen speaks loudly to the contrary. Engineers who can write well
enough to publish are as rare as literary types who can understand
technology well enough to write intelligently about it.

The best documentation teams I have worked on have had a balanced
combination of people from literary and technology backgrounds.

Leonard