Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 34, Issue 16: How did you get started in tech writing?

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 34, Issue 16: How did you get started in tech writing?
From: "Patricia Egan" <capdev -dot- communications -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: WSFN -at- rocketmail -dot- com
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 06:49:55 -0700

Faye, art conservation and the interactive educational programs can be
"technical" within the museum field. The Smithsonian offers (or used to)
seminars and courses in the technical aspects of museum work. Just a thought
. . .

No, the Smithsonian doesn't pay as well as Lockheed.

Pat

On 8/16/08, wsfn <WSFN -at- rocketmail -dot- com> wrote:

> Tech writing is often a career one discovers after they've realized some
> harsh truthes about popular or sough after careers. In my case, I had
> become determined to be a museum curator when I was about 15. Long about my
> Sophmore year of college I got married and started going to school only part
> time.
>
> I had discovered that Art History books were often really very bad and that
> if they bored me (an Art History major) they must be painfully dull to
> students who HAD to take these courses. I decided that I would some day
> write textbooks. I began to formulate ideas about interative online
> textbooks and how they would be used at university (library access, note
> taking tool, paper writing tool, as well as all the textbooks for a term).
>
> I was working as a Temp in an office for 2 weeks when someone asked if I
> could use the Mac sitting at that desk. I had just written a paper that was
> required to be typed on a computer (young teacher) and got to reply "yes".
>
> A month later I had been hired as a jr tech writer by Martin Marietta (just
> before Lockheed merger).
>
> I changed my major and began taking tech writing courses and was running my
> own department by the time I got my degeree. At 33, my first post-school
> job got me to move to DC and start my real career as a help system author.
>
> Now I have so many hats and interests, I beginning to think about my first
> love - art history. I'm still convinced that the technology will eventually
> catch up to my ideas (laptops are getting there, but not quite strong enough
> for my ideas) and I can combine my two fields into one.
>
> Fact still remains, that very few earn a living as a museum curator!!!!
>
> ~Faye Newsham
>
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 34
> > Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:35:14 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Karen <ekarenski-techwrl -at- yahoo -dot- com>
> > Subject: Re: Poll: Is technical writing a sellout or
> > fallback career?
>

> > I was actually wondering if I was going to read other's

> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help gives you everything you need to author and
> publish quality Help, Web, and print content. Perfect for technical
> authors, developers, and policy writers. Download a FREE trial.
> http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
> capdev -dot- communications -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/capdev.communications%40gmail.com

Patricia Egan
P. O. Box 194391