Re: Online storage?

Subject: Re: Online storage?
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: chrismorton11 -at- gmail -dot- com
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:54:30 -0500 (CDT)

Hey all.

I used to have an account with a Grandaddy Of Them All internet provider
here in the Boston area. They were great, except that periodically they
might possibly wipe out one or two of your directories, if they needed
the space.

Has Google sworn an oath of blood never, ever to do that?

Just wonderin'.

--Nancy

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Chris Morton wrote:

Sam's solution is a good one.

But if you want online storage, why not send yourself e-mail with
attachments to your Gmail account? It's free!

The only caveat is that Gmail is periodically offline, though not very
often and not for horrendously long periods. That it could happen when
you're up against an extremely tight deadline is a possibility, however.
But then, your networked storage drive could crash, too, or your router
go on the fritz.

For me, the Gmail option has been great and, being a Scot, one cannot
argue with FREE.

> Chris

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Nancy Allison < maker -at- verizon -dot- net
<mailto:maker -at- verizon -dot- net> > wrote:
Hey, folks. I have two networked laptops at home. Two is definitely
better than one; having a backup in case one gets the vapors is really
great.

However, I now have the problem that usually whatever I want to work on
is on the other computer. Also, having them both running simply to share
files between them once in a while seems like a waste of energy.

SOoooo, I am considering using an online "server" where I could store
all my file and have access to them from either laptop, and from
anywhere else, too, that has online access. This seems like possibly a
very good way to go.

Do any of you do this? Is there a service you recommend? Thoughts?

Thanks!

--Nancy

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/
<http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/>

<http://www.helpandmanual.com/>

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com
<mailto:salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com> .

<mailto:techwr-l-unsubscribe -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/salt.morton%40gmail.com
<http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/salt.morton%40gmail.com>

<mailto:techwr-l-join -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com
<mailto:admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com> . Visit
http://www.techwr-l.com/ <http://www.techwr-l.com/> for more resources
and info.

<http://www.techwr-l.com/>

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/