Re: Working "with"; working "on"

Subject: Re: Working "with"; working "on"
From: "Lin Sims" <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:50:53 -0400

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 2:07 PM, McLauchlan, Kevin
<Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:

> Are you saying that you don't, by default, get a different flavor and
> implication from "Jaimie's working _with_ GPS mapping software" and
> "Jaimie's working _on_ GPS mapping software"?
>
> That's my question to everybody. I immediately hear "working on" as
> "Jaimie is programming it or maybe testing it", but at the very least,
> Jaimie is having a hand in creating or modifying it. But "working with"
> suggests to me that Jaimie has some job or task in which GPS mapping
> software is useful... but somebody else (not likely Jaimie) created that
> software. Do others generally note a similar distinction when they
> encounter "with" or "on" in such sentences? Or is most of it peculiar
> to me? I'm makin' it all up, and I should adjust the meds?

I think I'd make the same distinction. If you're working _with_
something, it's a tool you're using to accomplish a goal and any
effect on the tool is incidental to where you're going. If you're
working _on_ something, your goal is to directly affect that
something.

--
Lin Sims

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/