RE: Generating PDFs with FrameMaker 7.1

Subject: RE: Generating PDFs with FrameMaker 7.1
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Joseph Lorenzini <jaloren -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:50:20 -0400

Joseph Lorenzini wrote:

> I have a question about generating PDFs with FrameMaker 7.1 I print a book
> to PDF and then generate the PDF with the PS script. However, the TOC
> doesn't generate correctly. The page number of each chapter is not
> hyperlinked while the title itself is. For example, if this entry was in my
> TOC "How To Start A Program......16", then the How To Start a Program would
> be hyperlinked but the number 16 would not be. In addition, the sub-sections
> within the TOC are hyperlinked correctly.
>
> Does anyone know why this would be? Is this a bug with frame or do I need to
> modify a setting?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say "I print a book to
PDF and then generate the PDF with the PS script." Normally, you would just
print the book to the "Adobe PDF" virtual printer, and you'd get the PDF in a
single step. Or you'd use the Print to File option to generate a PostScript file
that you'd then run through the Acrobat Distiller tool.

I'm also not sure what you mean when you say "In addition, the sub-sections
within the TOC are hyperlinked correctly," because I'm not sure what sub-
sections you are referring to or why you are mentioning them if they are
working properly.

But as to your specific question, I suspect that the issue is how have set
up the formatting of the TOC paragraphs. The standard behavior for Frame's
hyperlinks is to treat the entire paragraph that contains a hyperlink as the
"hot spot" or active area *unless* there is some change in character
formatting (or unless a second hyperlink marker is present). Any change
in the character fomatting ends the active area at the point of change.
If you have set up the TOC paragraphs to change the character formatting
for the tab leader dots or the page number, taht is what is truncating the
active area sooner than you expect. If you absolutely *must* use different
character formatting for the page number, then you must insert a duplicate
of each hypertext marker just in front of the page number to create a
second hot spot that links to the same page.

-Fred Ridder

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/