Re: Poll: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?

Subject: Re: Poll: Is technical writing a sellout or fallback career?
From: "Char James-Tanny" <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 14:52:34 -0400

> However, perhaps that was a premature thought.
>
> When the cashier at my local supermarket asks the paper-or-plastic
> question, I understand exactly what is being asked.......... but what I
> hear would be transcribed as:
> "Do you want paper, or plastic?"
>
> Notice that little comma-thingie.

I don't think the lack of a comma is causing the problem. When I'm
asked "paper or plastic", the possible answers are "paper", "plastic",
"brought my own", "other". The poll wants me to answer "yes or no".
Uh...yes, paper? Yes, plastic? Yes, both? No, none?

PS Has the question now changed?

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list. (Inquiries sent off-list
may not be seen.)
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
Microsoft Help MVP since 2002
Find a Help Authoring Tool at HAT-Matrix.com ~ http://hat-matrix.com
Co-author of "Managing Virtual Teams" ~ http://www.wordware.com/wiki
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
STC Secretary, 2006-2010
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/