RE: PDF Creation Errors

Subject: RE: PDF Creation Errors
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: "Sam Beard" <sbeard -at- oico -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 16:23:40 -0600

Sam Beard wrote:

<snip> copies of each chapter in the resulting PDF. However, I still
can't
> generate the Acrobat data. The data is set up in the appropriate
manner,
> but it seems to cause an error with generating the PDF. Here's the
> resulting message I get from Distiller, which I don't remember ever
> seeing before on previous PDFs:
>
> <PDFA ISO="19005-1:2005" COMPLIANT="true">

I guess I was too terse in my previous response. You have Job Options
set to produce a PDFA-compliant PDF, suitable for archiving. Change it
to a non-standards-based setting that meets your needs, like Standard,
Smallest File Size, or Press Quality (these are available in Acro 7; the
names may be different in other versions).

Or create your own Job Options settings file. To learn about the
settings, see "Adobe PDF Settings" in the online help, especially "Using
default Adobe PDF settings files" and "Creating custom Adobe PDF
settings."

See also "Standards Options" for more info about the PDFA standard, and
why Acrobat might either complain or refuse to create a PDF that doesn't
meet the standard.

<snip>
> Again, thanks much for the help, Richard! I hope that someone can
> help me shed some light on resolving this issue. My IT support
suggested
> I try to repair Acrobat through Add/Remove Programs, which is what I'm
> about to try.

Don't do that; it sounds like Acrobat is running just fine. You just
need some driving lessons. ;-)

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer