A different USB/Router Q

Subject: A different USB/Router Q
From: Paul Kent <jopakent -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:48:02 +0000 (UTC)

Several months ago I bought a wireless router that has a USB port on it.

I paid it no heed to the USP port until last week when a colleague suggested that he was buying one because in addition to the wireless connectivity he needed, he'd also be able to connect a printer or remote storage to the router's USP port and then be able to access it from on the wireless network.

I didn't really think it through, so I tried it this weekend (with predictable results). I do not have NAS or any other network server software (besides the XP stuff), so I think that's a dead end.

I do wonder though what the USB port is FOR on a wireless router. Why would I want to connect something there if I can't see if from the network?

As for my external drive, I'm resigned to banging my head against the wall some more. I'm hanging it off my main PC, but I really need my other old one to be able to access it. Drive sharing has been an on again off again experience for me in the past. I'd hoped that installing a new router would make it easier, but so far all I've got is swollen knots on my forehead.

J. Paul Kent
206-383-0539

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/