Just can't get there from here....

Subject: Just can't get there from here....
From: jopakent -at- comcast -dot- net
To: TECHWR <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Word List <WORD-PC -at- LISTSERV -dot- LIV -dot- AC -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:23:33 +0000 (UTC)

Desired numbering scheme:

Section 1
1.1
1.1.1
Appendix A
A.1
A.1.1

<Strike 1 >
I tried to make Word's Autonumbering work. Chased the gallery around for an hour or so again yesterday afternoon. Predictable results. I actually did get the body of the doc working correctly. I just had to hand number the Appendices and its sub-paragraphs.

<Strike 2>
Next, I tried to get the AutoNumLGL field to work. The problem here is that I can't find any information on how to control this field, so when if I use "Appendix { AUTONUMLGL \* ALPHABETIC \e }" for a document with 7 sections, my first Appendix appears as "Appendix H" I tried using switches for other fields (like \s and \r), but that doesn't seem to work. Also, I haven't figured out what to do with the Appendix 2 field so that I can get it to produce A.1. I tried using
"{ AUTONUMLGL \* ALPHABETIC \l2 }"
This gives me:
Appendix H
H.A.
H.A.A
So the problem of not being able to set the starting point persists and then I have the new problem of wanting mixed format (alphabetic.numeric).

<Strike 3>
On the advice of Word's Help, I tried using {LISTNUM LegalDefault \l 1 \s 1} and this seems to be on the right track. By using \l 2 and \l 3 for Appendix 2 and Appendix 3 styles I now have:
Appendix 1
1.1
1.1.1
But this still leaves me needing to resolve the alpha versus numeric issue. I tried using the \ALPHABETIC switch, but Word seems to ignore it.

I'm out of ideas.(and strikes:)

Anyone else have suggestions? Oh, and please reply directly if you do have an idea (short of huffing white out in the men's room) as I'm on digest.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList