Re: Workplace issues

Subject: Re: Workplace issues
From: Ned Bedinger <doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:20:25 -0700

Cardimon, Craig wrote:
>> if I connect to the Internet from my
>> personal laptop, that goes through the same structure
>> as my cell phone uses and does not involve company
>> assets in any way.

I don't agree that work is work and personal is personal, and ne'er the
twain etc. Personal communication is anything BUT forbidden in my 21st
century workplace--my boss and I have established detente about this. We
both recognize that our jobs demand flexibility, and that we both are
happier if we allow the other to shape work according to the fair rules
of give and take.

Note that I'm not talking about tit for tat, where boss asks me to make
personal sacrifice (20 hrs overtime, for example) and I then take back
an equal measure of personal time while at work when things are slow.

What I expect is NOT to work like the bean counter's bitch. In my
sensible, ethical working world, no one keeps track of the minutes and
tenths of an hour spent on assignments versus personal stuff.

So yeah, I will make phone calls or check webmail at work. Of course,
that means my employer can sniff and snoop my personal traffic, steal my
hotmail password and spam my correspondents, but I generally don't worry
about that much. I'm not sure I'd even notice if the network admins are
actively using my hotmail alongside me!

Ned Bedinger
doc -at- edwordsmith -dot- com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList