re: re: Growing workload, Growing pains

Subject: re: re: Growing workload, Growing pains
From: lamanning -at- mmm -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 14:46:11 -0600

Hello, PTW!

Thank you for your kind response! You've made some good suggestions. i
like the diplomatic tack from your experience. And I believe that is what
my current manager is trying to do. I'm relatively new to this team of 18
writers, but it's easy to see that she respects her writers, their
professionalism and creativity. Neat group to work for sure. I feel lucky.

Let me elaborate just a titch on what I think is happening here: what
broke the existing development system here was an acquisition that
increased department size by about 50%. Lead writers had been coordinating
work across product families, but the definitions of product families
became too fluid. Concurrently, the workload has become enormous--so much
so that we can only complete part of what's needed. Now there's a backlog
. . . and it's growing (hence, pain). We're in the midst of moving to
AuthorIt, which adds work in itself although it will be a huge help in the
long run. The addition of all the new products means that release dates
are no longer as predictable as they used to be, and whew!--it's all just
getting out of hand. We'd like to know what really big teams do to keep
everything coordinated.

With this, would you have any other ideas?

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList