Re: Never lead with a graphic

Subject: Re: Never lead with a graphic
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Rebecca Hopkins" <rebecca_hopkins -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 16:30:10 -0500

See the Microsoft Manual of Style, Documenting the User Interface, page 3.
The top of the page has introductory text, then this:

<title> Screen Terminology </title>
<graphic> .. <graphic>

The graphics consist of *two* whole pages of graphics without any text
paragraphs at all, only labelss on the graphics. Then two more pages follow
after that with graphics first and then a very short descriptions next.

You know, at American Airlines, we started each technical guide section with
the graphic at the very top of the page, like this: Graphic --> Line Rule
--> Chapter Title --> Introduction. Is that what your boss is talking
about? I don't see how using the Title --> Intro --> Graphic model could be
a problem, as I've seen that style for years in a lot of industries,
including the US government.

Maybe the two people are just confused, and you could clarify with them?

Good luck :-)
PT

PS: I've taught tech writing at a university, and I've never heard that
before either.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Rebecca Hopkins <rebecca_hopkins -at- comcast -dot- net>
wrote:

> Leonard,
>
> Thanks for the advice - I'm just arming myself for the inevitable
> conversation with the boss.
>
> I talked to one of my younger co-workers, and he said that's what he
> learned in school as well - never lead with a graphic. He could not remember
> the rationale, however. Since the boss is newer to the tech writing circus
> than I am, I'm thinking she also "received" this wisdom that I missed out
> on.
>
> We're going through one of those clean-out-the-fridge,
> salute-it-or-paint-it re-orgs of the company's various doc sets, and
> standards for standardization's sake are being carved in stone as we speak.
> Two people who remember it from class outnumber one person's personal
> opinion. I will have to find references to back up my argument.
> -----
> Rebecca

> From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
> > I assume that my reader is using one of my applications and has come to
> > the user docs because he doesn't understand something or is otherwise
> > having problems. In other words, as he is reading my docs, he has the
> > GUI open on his monitor. Granted that, while I usually do have
> > introductory text, I ensure the graphic appears on the first screen of
> > the help (or page in a PDF) for the given section. This quickly lets the
> > reader know, "you are here". Explanatory text always comes after this.
> >
> > I can't imagine any reason why you wouldn't want a screenshot on the
> > first page of a help section. Why not ask your boss his rationale? Or,
> > maybe you can tell him that you don't understand and ask him to provide
> > some samples.
> >
> > Leonard
>
> Create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to Help file formats or
> printed documentation. Features include support for Windows Vista & 2007
> http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList<http://www.doctohelp.com/TechwrlList>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

Dale Carnegie wrote in his famous book 'How to Win Friends and Influence
People,' that our deepest human desire is to believe we are a good person."

-- Rabbi Schmuley

Tell your kids they are >good< people.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList