Re: "using" as a verb in a task heading

Subject: Re: "using" as a verb in a task heading
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 21:42:43 -0400

Milan Davidovic wrote:
> Stripping out the verb and leaving it as Method A/B (per Leonard) is
> looking kind of good to me. Any other ideas?

When making the index, refrain from putting in any entries under
"Using". Yes, it will group them all together, but nobody will look
there. Instead, make entries for the nouns and verbs associated with the
concept:

(Heading in book) Using File-Manipulation Tools

(Index entries) Deleting files
............... Removing files
............... Creating files
............... File manipulation
............... Files, deletion
............... Files, removal
............... Files, creation

There is no law (at least in my jurisdiction) that says index terms need
appear in the refered location. The index is to help the readers, even
those coming from other technologies or systems. You can even use terms
for concepts that are impossible within the system. For example, suppose
your system is an archival one in which deletion of files is disallowed.
An index entry for "Files, deletion" might be appropriate; "Files,
deletion not allowed" might of course be even better.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList