Re: Who's in charge? (was RE: Page break as local formatting permitted?)

Subject: Re: Who's in charge? (was RE: Page break as local formatting permitted?)
From: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- polycom -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:56:53 +0200

I am afraid that you are all correct.

My former boss, who was an excellent manager (the best I have ever had),
quit about a year and a half ago. My current manager, while very nice, has
no experience in management. For a long time, he didn't (couldn't? wouldn't)
show interest in the technical writing department or the issues it was
facing. I have tried all avenues, including talking to other managers. .

Since my former boss left, I was facing many issues including talking an
unreasonable amount of work done with very little to no human
resources, dealing with many issues, part of which may definitely have been
my fault, for lack of management experience. However, I can't really say
that I praise the management above me - for lack for management experience
on their end, worse, for lack of care and interest despite the red flags
that I raised. Worse, I have never truly been able to get my boss to define
my responsibilities.

My CV is circulating and in the meantime, I am still here. To my boss's
credit, I can actually say that my he has obtained the funds to hire two
writers.

I believe that the new writer is a bit in shock because of the extremely
high rhythm and relative disorganization in comparison with the company
where he was working (of course, they had a whole team there and it was a
well-established company, while we were a start-up up until a year ago). So,
yes, improvement is required but not at the expense of getting the job done
and he has to remember that right now, we are only two of us. So adjustment
is required and thanks to the people on this forum, particularly Gene, I
spoke with him and he understood that we would set clear guidelines so that
there would not be power struggles (I think that this word was right on
target). However, contrary to the situation with the previous writer, this
guy is really very efficient and among some of our disagreements, he has
some terrific ideas. He is also not as energy consuming as the other writer
and he takes a lot of initiative. I tend to be more optimistic here. He got
the job done on time, which was quite amazing, considering that this was his
first week.

I have also repeatedly set an appointment with my boss regarding my job
description and responsibilities but he keeps postponing it. I will try
until I succeed (or I will knock at other doors. Fortunately, I have
excellent contacts in the management).

I did find out today that I am not the only one who feels that my boss does
not have the ability to manage (and he does not want to delegate the job to
any of the product managers but he doesn't do it himself either).

So, yes. Much like him, I do need management training (the blind leading the
blind) but I have really been struggling here to get things done and in
rather difficult circumstances.

It is not as much the problem of assertively as much as knowing what I am
expected and allowed to do.

Richard, I really like your email and I will use your arguments for when
this long awaited meeting happens (if ever).

Meanwhile, this forum is a tremendous help and has allowed me to keep my
sanity. Sorry for pumping your energy and thank you so much for your
feedback and support.