Re: Commute/Flex work options a Deal breaker?

Subject: Re: Commute/Flex work options a Deal breaker?
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Collin Turner" <straylightsghost -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 00:08:12 -0400

> As for caffeine, why the personal jab Bill? Have I done something to offend?
> If so, please let me know. I'll even take the constructive criticism on list
> (*Note: the word "constructive"). If you want to flame me? Feel free to do
> it off list.

No flame intended. It seems you're being rather belligerent towards
those with opposing views or who, as you seem to indicate, don't
understand what you're asking.

> First off, did you read the original question? If not, please take the time
> to do so.

Of course I did. I answered it, too. Did you read it?

> As for hourly employment...why does that matter? I've worked hourly
> contracts where Tele-work was standard 2 or 3 days a week. Each of those
> contracts was on a strict schedule. For the sake of clarity, would you care
> to state some examples for us Bill?

There are plenty of jobs out there where hourly writers need to adhere
to a strict schedule. Many are in the fields of manufacturing,
medicine, and government.

> As far as documenting the work of others, I have worked in situations (and
> for companies) where the SMEs I need to consult work in different countries
> and/or time zones. Needless to say...that's a conferencing situation and
> more times than not it's done from home. It's never been an obsticle.

Agreed. I work with people in over 35 offices in over 15 countries.

> VPN's, Webmail, some readily available software and recording/conferencing
> equipment and you're good to go. Even a company that doesn't have a VPN or
> Webmail does not pose a problem, there are always workarounds that (with
> careful instruction of IT personnell) will do.

Correct, but the company needs to allow this, which is getting back to
the question of would I work for a company that wouldn't budge on a
hard schedule... If my job was to work with people in remote locations
and I wasn't given the flexibility to do so, then no, I wouldn't take
the job.

> Motive. (From the original message)
> "Just curious..."

All well and good. I don't see a need to get defensive or belligerent then.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList