Tech-writer-to-business-analyst thread?

Subject: Tech-writer-to-business-analyst thread?
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:15:58 -0500 (CDT)

I've just read through some archived tw-to-ba threads, and I would like
to reopen the discussion with some followup questions.

In a post from January 2007u, David Eason said (among many informative
comments):

"BA's have special skills with project
management, workflow processes, business modeling, and software such as
UML (uniform modeling language), use cases, entity-relationship diagrams
(ERDs) and relational database concepts, object-oriented technologies
(Rational Rose, object-oriented analysis, object-oriented design,
object-oriented programming), and the systems development lifecycle
(SDLC).

"Documentation and Visio expertise won't even get you in the door.
However, having BA skills, such as requirements engineering, workflow
processing, process modeling, use-case writing, and some other
documentation-related tools can augment technical writing . . ."

I am trying to figure out if I would be good at business analysis; I
enjoy tech writing but have also always been interested in the broader
business goals of the companies I've worked for. For what it's worth, I
think it's going to be important to have a broader resume in the years
to come, since I think we're in for a hard time economically.

I'm about to start taking our BAs out for coffee one by one to interview
them about what they do and what their background skills are, to see if
this might be a good transition for me to make.

I've come across some online courses that might be useful, if I decide
to make this transition. Has anyone heard of the Villanova online BA
certificate course? Any ideas about how I could find out if their
certificate is respected? Boston University also has courses.

Has anyone here worked as a BA in the past, or does anyone here combine
that work with tech writing?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

--Nancy

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList