Re: Eclipse Help

Subject: Re: Eclipse Help
From: Robert_Johnson -at- percussion -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:14:41 -0400

Wanda,

We're delivering in the Eclipse Help format to support an interface we
deliver as an Eclipse Rich Client Plugin. You can delivery a stand-alone
Help plugin ("Standalone Help Inforcenter" to use Eclipse jargon), but it
must be invoked by a Java program, and the system must have a copy of the
Eclipse Platform Runtime Binary. If you're in a Java environment, this
might be a workable option.

The main obstacle we've encountered in delivering Eclipse Help is that
it's not directly supported by our current tool (Author-IT). AIT does
output to DITA, and we use the DITA OpenToolkit to do the transform to the
Eclipse format.

One useful resource I found was the Java Developer's Guide to Eclipse,
from Addison Wesley (ISBN 0-321-30502-7). You can find more details
there. You might also find the Eclipse Yahoo Group useful:

Robert Johnson
Principal Writer
Percussion Software
Woburn, MA

"Wanda Phillips" <wanda -dot- jane -at- gmail -dot- com>
Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+robert_johnson=percussion -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
06/09/2008 06:03 PM

cc

Subject
Eclipse Help

Hi everyone,

We produce CHM files for Help on our systems. I have encountered numerous
questions posted about Eclipse Help, in particular in conjunction with
DITA
authoring. We have had no thoughts of changing our output formats, but in
moment of enquiry, I started wondering about the format of delivery. I
have
to look into what language our developers use to see if it's supported
before I even consider changing the format of our deliverables.

I did a quick google search and read some information but I'm wondering,
those of you using Eclipse Help, what are the requirements, benefits, and
obstacles you've encounterd? I'm thinking that since DITA and Eclipse are
intensely IBM that moving to Eclipse as an output format would be
*relatively* straightforward for our DITA-based content.

Thanks,
Wanda

--
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ
from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Robert_Johnson -at- percussion -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/robert_johnson%40percussion.com

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList