RE: Display, Displays, or Appears

Subject: RE: Display, Displays, or Appears
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:17:53 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From:

[mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin -dot- mclauchlan=safenet-inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-
> l.com] On Behalf Of Bonnie Granat
> Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 07:30
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: RE: Display, Displays, or Appears
>
> It seems so basic to me, just like giving directions to Grandma's
house:
> "After you reach the top of hill, you should see a huge barn on the
left
> about 200 feet from the road. There's an enormous tree halfway between
the
> road and the barn. Turn left at the mailbox."
>
> Would anyone consider that the above would not be helpful?
In the computer-and-software-and-peripheral-devices world, not only
might the barn be gone (timbers and sheathing taken for shi-shi
renovations of rich folks' houses), the tree might be gone, the hill
might have been flattened to smooth out the road, and there might be
eleven mailboxes... or none (rural delivery discontinued due to
cost-cutting).

But even if everything's there, I want the mailbox to be located (by the
instructions) with respect to the other features. If it's the first
thing that I pass after cresting the hill, while still looking for big
features like a barn and an enormous tree, and also watching for idiots
coming the other way in my lane while passing on a blind hill..., then I
won't even notice that mailbox. How far down the road do I continue
before:
a) I encounter somebody else's mailbox
or
b) I decide that I've overshot and should turn around?

Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList