RE: Display, Displays, or Appears

Subject: RE: Display, Displays, or Appears
From: "Downing, David" <DavidDowning -at- Users -dot- com>
To: "Lauren" <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:43:02 -0400

Lauren

First, to clarify, I meant that I felt the instructions should account
somehow for the situation in which the window that's expected to appear
doesn't appear because of some kind of error condition. You originally
said you felt that was outside the scope of the documentation, but I
would feel more comfortable if it were accounted for.

As far as what I said about cleaning up our documentation, it seems I
was reading something into what you said that wasn't there. Sorry. It
was late in the day and I was tired.

Our style guide doesn't explicitly address the issue of how to handle
each new occurrence of a n window, but it does says to use the passive
"is displayed" instead of "displays/" Maybe it should address the window
issue, though. I see it hasn't been updated since October 2002. I can
either raise this question privately with our editor or bring it up at
our next semi-monthly departmental meeting.

David