Re: Hyperlink in PDF

Subject: Re: Hyperlink in PDF
From: "Prashanth Menon" <prashanthv -dot- menon -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Rao Vaishali" <rao_vaishali -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- in>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 17:18:32 +0530

Vaishali <rao_vaishali -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- in> wrote:

> Had to deliver 2 PDF documents and first PDF document had links to sections
> in the second PDF.
> Links within the Word document (ToC and other internal hyperlinks) and to
> sections in Other Word document (external hyperlinks) were functional. ....
> But not in PDF file.
> Changed the hyperlink to PDF file and converted to PDF using the PDF icon.

I have had the same problems as you do with the same results. The only way
out I have found is with the help of Acrobat Writer (I use 8.1.1). Instead
of using cross-references in the source file (.doc), generate the output
(.pdf) without cross-references and link the documents using Acrobat's "Set
Link" feature and "Destinations". This is a two-step process:
1. In the target PDF, open the specific section and add a destination (View
> Navigation Panel > Destinations). Add a new destination and save the PDF.
2. In the source PDF, select the cross-ref text, right-click on it and
select "Create Link". In the pop-up dialog, select "Go to a page view" and
click "Next". Without disturbing the "Set Link" pop-up that appears, open
the target file and go the the target section. Now, click on "Set Link".

Do not forget to Save the PDF files.

The Set Link feature by itself should work (i.e. without Destinations). But
I remember reading somewhere that the combination is better.

Thanks,
Prashanth

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList