Re: Training for Management?

Subject: Re: Training for Management?
From: john -at- garisons -dot- com
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:54:23 -0400 (EDT)

What Geoff says (micro-summarized below). Plus ...

- Involve your people in the planning stages. No one likes to be told what
to do, and people will feel that they "own" the challenge when they are
part of figuring out how to accomplish it. You probably won't do
everything they suggest, but by listening to them you will learn and they
will be more likely to agree with your decision by being a part of it

- Look ahead. A big part of your job is to ensure that your people don't
encounter problems in doing their jobs. Make sure as much as possible that
they have what they need and that they get the cooperation and resources
they need. Colloquially stated, make sure there are no snags or sandbars
in the river as your team steams up river.

- Remember what Patton said: Lead, follow, or get the h*ll out of the way.
Provide clear direction and let your people charge ahead. Don't be an
impediment. Write up or otherwise promulgate a goal statement and make
sure people know what it is. Am example of a great goal statement was
JFK's "We will successfully land a man on the moon by the end of the
decade and bring him safely home again."

- Listen to your people. Keep in mind that whenever you are talking - or
thinking about what you're going to say when you do talk - you are not
listening to what other people are saying. Listen to them. They are the
ones "at the coal face" and know what the real problems - and
opportunities - are. Ask probing questions to get more information. Then,
once you have the facts, figure out what to do. Consider vetting potential
solutions in conjunction with your group (see "Involve your people in the
planning process).

- Earn your people's trust. They need to see demonstrated examples of you
standing up for them. You may not win the battle, but you'll get points
for fighting the good fight. But even before you earn their trust, give
them yours. You'll get it back in spades.

My 2¢,

John Garison

<snip>

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList