Re: SMEs/QA don't have time to review the documentation

Subject: Re: SMEs/QA don't have time to review the documentation
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:37:27 -0400

I don't recognize your name, but you could be working here with us, I'm
sorry to say.

Do you have a manager that can go to bat for you? Your developers are not
going to ever have time to review your documentation unless THEIR management
puts it into their schedule. So the chain of command all needs to buy into
the concept that having good documentation is as important as the product
and that they are willing to commit resources for that to happen.

I have yet to see that happen at my current job, but we're working on it. At
other places, when developer management was actually reasonable, and the
documentation was split appropriately among all the developers, a threatened
table top review (if they didn't email me comments beforehand) usually got
results.

Since you are not embedded within the development team, you are likely going
to have to go up the corporate org chart to the manager that has
responsibility for both development and documentation and convince THAT
person. Because he/she is the only one with the power to get the SMEs to
devote time for reviews.

Good luck!
-Wendy