Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Lawsuit
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 11:25:14 -0700

The top-level site is provided by the state as
guidelines to employers to determine what their
employees' status should be, so it's easy to see
how this ended up in court.

Writers will have to decide for themselves if they
think they'll be better off as hourly nonexempts
than as salaried exempts. If I had been told
when I interviewed for my first writing job back
in 1992 that I would be going from professional
to hourly employment, I would not have made
the jump from engineering to technical writing.
My personal opinion is that Hoenenmier and
her lawyers are willing to send the entire
profession of technical writing down the path
to becoming secretarial help in order to get
their payoffs. But that's just my view on the
subject.

Gene Kim-Eng