Re: Seen the STC Survey on May 22? (Was: TC definition)

Subject: Re: Seen the STC Survey on May 22? (Was: TC definition)
From: Michael West <WestM -at- conwag -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:15:59 +1000

"Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote on 28/05/2008 03:04:42 AM:

> Agreed, though to be honest, I didn't draw the connection either. But
> I had other bigger issues with the survey than which bucket to plop
> myself.

It's difficult for me to understand how the connection could be
missed--especially by a guy with Bill Swallow's cv. But what I wonder more
is how useful the information can be, given the high number of short-term
contracts in our particular game.

For example, I'm currently employed by an engineering consultancy, so
today I'd put myself in the "Engineering" bucket. Before that, I was in a
brokerage house, so it would have been "Finance" or "Financial Services"
(I haven't actually seen the available labels in the survey.) Before that,
it was "Engineering" again. Before that I spent a few weeks in a law firm,
so I was a Legal eagle (well, sparrow anyway). Before that it was a
software vendor, so I was IT. Before that, I was Telecommunications.

Doing very much the same thing the whole time, of course. But I'm not
unique in this, and for any of these buckets to be meaningful as an
indicator of where our (TWs/TCs) income is coming from, I'd have to break
it down to percentages of months or years. A single snapshot on an
arbitrary day, week or month wouldn't tell us much.
--
Mike West

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList