RE: What do you guys think of STCs new definition for technicalwriter?

Subject: RE: What do you guys think of STCs new definition for technicalwriter?
From: "Sean Brierley" <sbrierley -at- Accu-Time -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:23:07 -0400

Hi,

I think the analogy is flawed. We might read books about careers to our
children, but I don't think those books comprehensively define the
careers they describe.

So, while I do think it's possible to tell a five-year-old what a
technical communicator is, and while I believe our profession is
underrepresented in those career books that get read to kids, I don't
for a second think that what we would put in such a book for an audience
of five-year-olds should also pass muster as the definition for our job.

The definition of technical communicator needs to be clear to a
professional audience. It does not need to pass muster with
five-year-old children. My 2 cents, anyway.

Cheers,

Sean